Re: Proposal: "On Off" switch HTML forms Input Object

Solko, Dave (
Mon, 1 Jul 1996 18:06:29 -0400

From: "Solko, Dave (SOLKODE)" <>
To: "''" <>,
Subject: RE: Proposal: "On Off" switch HTML forms Input Object
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 18:06:29 -0400

One possible bit of confusion with a switch icon is that in the US,  a
switch is "on" when in the up position, whereas in many other countries,
the opposite is true. I think something more like a pressed-in button
may be better, but that of course is up to the whims of the browser.

>	The following example HTML fragment should make this clear:
>	    <FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="/cgi/house">
>            Here is the state of your house:
>            <BR>
>            <INPUT NAME="Air" TYPE="ONOFF" VALUE="0"> Conditioner
>            &NBSP;&NBSP;

>        Here is the state of your house:
>        V Air Conditioner   V Living Room Lights  ^ Bedroom Lights
>        V Hall Lights       ^ Front Porch Lights  ^ Back Yard Lights

Are you intending the NAME to appear visibly in the document as part of
the text, or did you intend:
>            <INPUT NAME="Air" TYPE="ONOFF" VALUE="0"> Air Conditioner
I feel this would be a better way to render the information and more in
line with current implimentation of other NAME attributes.

I think this is a great idea. I can see a lot of uses for a boolean
input. Sort of falls under the "duh, why didn't I think of that"

-----D a v e  S o l k o---------513.556.5264-----ooo0-(. .)-0ooo-----	  (_)| Designer   Frontier Archive  |
Consultant            |