Re: Introducing NetscapeML

Scott Swanson (
Mon, 1 Jul 1996 14:53:45 -0400 (EDT)

From: Scott Swanson <>
Subject: Re: Introducing NetscapeML
To: (Chris Wilson)
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 14:53:45 -0400 (EDT)

> considered "proprietary" (then again, OLE's widespread use for the past
> few years has made it near-ubiquitous on Windows - compared to zip for
> NS plug-ins), but it is embedded via the <OBJECT> tag - on which we have
> language someone might care to put inside the SCRIPT tag.  Again, since
> VB has been out for a number of years, and has hundreds of thousands if
> not millions of developers, I'd say it's also fairly ubiquitous.  Since

Let's be careful about the use of the word "ubiquitous."

I know one VB programmer in a pool of seventy, and he only fiddles around.
VB, as is implemented in the MicroSoft camp, is more rare externally,
and is *definitely* well-entrenched only in the Windows environment.
The argument could be made that *Java* is more ubiquitous, even though
there's only a handfull of [real] Java programmers out there.

Also, I'm not sure that a significant enough percentage of created
applications are OLE-enabled to call OLE "ubiquitous on windows" (I know
Office uses it, but even if Office is the single most used application
out there, it's just one suite of applications....)

Scott Swanson - Systems Director -
EarthWeb - 3 Park Avenue, 38th floor - New York, NY 10016 - (212) 725-6550 x231 - fax (212) 725-6559
* DISCLAIMER: I speak on behalf of myself, not EarthWeb.