Re: Picas

Dave Raggett (dsr@w3.org)
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 11:53:19 -0500

To: Stephen Turner <S.R.E.Turner@statslab.cam.ac.uk>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Picas
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 11:53:19 -0500
From: "Dave Raggett" <dsr@w3.org>

> I notice that <URL:http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/WD-insert.html> and
> <URL:http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/TR/WD-tables> both include abbreviations
> for various dimensions (in, cm and so on). The abbreviation for picas is
> "pi". Is it too late to consider changing this to "pc"? There are two good
> reasons for this:

"pi" is used by the SGML community, e.g. for the CALS table model.
As one of the goals of the extended HTML table model is to simplify
importing CALS tables, I see no good reason to be different, especially
as this was negotiated with the IETF HTML working group last year.
Changing it now would cause problems and delays to getting the table
spec to RFC status.

Thanks for your comments.

-- Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> tel: +1 (617) 258 5741 fax: +1 (617) 258 8682
   World Wide Web Consortium, 545 Technology Square, Cambridge, MA 02139
   url = http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/People/Raggett