Re: W3C Working Draft: HTML predefined icon-like symbols

Benjamin C. W. Sittler (bsittler@mailhost.nmt.edu)
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 19:37:48 -0700 (MST)

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 19:37:48 -0700 (MST)
From: "Benjamin C. W. Sittler" <bsittler@mailhost.nmt.edu>
To: Terry Allen <terry@ora.com>
Cc: Karen MacArthur <macarthr@w3.org>, www-html@w3.org, www-html@www10.w3.org
Subject: Re: W3C Working Draft: HTML predefined icon-like symbols

On Wed, 10 Jan 1996, Terry Allen wrote:

> Benjamin Sittler:
> >Here's an example for &printer;: the symbol could be used next to a
> hyperlink that produces a hardcopy of the current page in a help system.
>
> I infer that you're thinking of a non-Internet system, so that the link
> can be coded so as to point to one's own printer.  If not, how would you
> code the link?  If so, is it appropriate to define entities for HTML that
> aren't useful on the Internet?  (just asking ...)

Actually, I was thinking of a suggestion by one of the staff at the
university computer center... following the link would lead to a cgi
script that allows anyone in the right domain (therefore at the
university) to recieve hardcopy of a help page. This would be especially
useful for graphic documents (such as GIF or PostScript) which are not
viewable from all machines. A form to select one of the printers on
campus, and perhaps accounting, might be the needed.

Benjamin C. W. Sittler