SSI and other HTML server-side scripting languages

Paul McDaniel (paulmcd@microsoft.com)
Mon, 8 Jan 96 16:43:03 TZ

From: Paul McDaniel <paulmcd@microsoft.com>
To: www-html@w3.org
Date: Mon,  8 Jan 96 16:43:03 TZ
Subject: SSI and other HTML server-side scripting languages

I am trying to find information in regards to server side scripting in HTML.

SSI (server side includes) is interesting
(http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs/tutorials/includes.html) but lacking.

I found a very interesting doc on SSI+ (http://www.cybrmall.com/) but
this seems to be proprietary for WebQuest servers.

What I need is the following features for server-side HTML scripting:

o method callout
	- the ability to call out to a module for execution.  this could be an
exe, cgi, isapi, ole object, etc..
o conditionals
	- IF/THEN/ELSE type functionality
o looping
	- WHILE/WEND type looping
o include
	- to be able to include other HTML files.

I am trying to investigate existing standards to address these issues.
If none exist, I am interested in proposing one or working with the
group that is.

thanks for any help.
- paulmcd@microsoft.com