Re: last update

Jon Wallis (
Mon, 08 Jan 1996 07:24:40 +0000

Date: Mon, 08 Jan 1996 07:24:40 +0000
To: Imagine More!!! <>
From: Jon Wallis <>
Subject: Re: last update

At 19:43 06/01/96 -0500, you wrote:

>I was lurking for a long time enjoying your discussions and learning new
>things :)
>I was writing a perl cgi script for "last updates". I have almost finished
>it. It seems working.  I was thinking to post it to the list but i saw a
>The idea is to check the last edition date of the file (e.g the html file
>of the current page) and print out in the current page at a proper place
>as the page is being displayed by the visitor's browser.
[snip rest]

Wouldn't it be much easier to use SSI (Server Side Includes) to do this,
asuming your server does them.  The server will be much more efficient than
any "on-the-fly" CGI-based page construction.

Jon Wallis        Senior Lecturer in Computing / University Webmaster
School of Computing & I.T., University of Wolverhampton, UK - WV1 1SB
   Personal WWW Home Page   <URL:>
     University WWW Home Page <URL:>
-----------------"That's some catch, that catch-22"------------------