Re: <table ... and <body background ...

lilley (lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk)
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 17:21:24 +0000 (GMT)

From: lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: <table ... and <body background ...
To: A.Aitken@unl.ac.uk (ALASTAIR AITKEN CLMS)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 17:21:24 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: www-html@w3.org, www-talk@w3.org

Alastair Aitken writes:

> I'd like to either exclude the background specified in the <body ... > </body>
> statement from a <table ... > </table> *or* specify a different background
> for the table.  As far as I am aware I cannot do either.

Could be - what sort of HTML are you writing?

>  Does anyone know better?  Has anyone wanted to do this and couldn't?
> Does anyone else want to?

I wanted to and did, using stylesheets. This was fairly simple. See
the html [1] the stylesheet [2] and a gif of the result [3]. The relevant
parts of the stylesheet being:

  html     { color: #030; background: #F7FFD7 }
  table    { background: "smudge3.png" #FFD }

[1] http://info.mcc.ac.uk/CGU/staff/lilley/test/css/ws/confs2.html
[2] http://info.mcc.ac.uk/CGU/staff/lilley/test/css/ws/new-style.css
[3] http://info.mcc.ac.uk/CGU/staff/lilley/test/css/ws/arena-wc-tn.gif
--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author and JISC representative to W3C
|  Manchester and North Training & Education Centre   ( MAN T&EC )  |