Re: SGML macros using DSSSL expressions

At 09:40 AM 2/24/96 -0500, you wrote:

>A bunch of people have been asking for macros in HTML, ala cpp:
>
>	#define copyStatement "Copyright (c) 1996, all rights reserved"

>The other thing is that some folks want to be able to use expressions as
>attribute values. I thought about defining a new media type, say text/ehtml,
>where the lexical syntax of HTML is extended to include the lisp backquote
syntax:

>	<h2>Section `,(set! counter (+ 1 counter))</h2>
>

>Anyway... just a few ideas I wanted to jot down before I forgot.

How do these ideas fit in with your document [Toward a Formalism For
Communication On The Web]

"My experience with document interchange led me to classify document formats
using the essential distinction that some are "programmable" and some are
not. Most widely used source forms are programmable: TeX, troff, postscript,
and the like. On the other hand, there are several "static" formats: plain
text, Microsoft RTF, FrameMaker MIF, GNU's TeXinfo,

The reason that this distinction is essential with respect to document
interchange is that extracting information from documents in "programmable"
document formats is equivalent to the halting problem. That is, it is
arbitrarily difficult and cannot be automated in a general fashion. "

 Paul Prescod

[Toward a Formalism For Communication On The
Web]http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/html-spec/html-essay.html