Re: Automatic Entry and Forms

Derek,

On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, Derek Harding wrote:

> >If you are naive enough not to see the implications of this, move over and
> >let others overtake.  If you have any thoughts on your Congress's DCA,
> >then think again because this is worse by a factor of 100.
> >

> I think perhaps you have misread or misunderstood what is being proposed
> here.

No I have not.

> This system is a totally different kettle of fish to the Australia
> card, is based on consent and will only automate the inputting of
> information which people are already providing manually.

No it is not.

> The issues of privacy depend on what questions users will accept companies
> asking, and the uses which users will allow companies to put that
> information, not on the mechanisms used to provide such information.

The mechanisms used to provide such information is part and parcel of
this issue.  Just read the proposal and those parts of this thread
defending it.

> Finally, is there any need to resort to personal insult of people who have
> proven their skill and understanding? From someone I have never heard of
> before it only lowers my estimation of you, not them.

Being a bit cheeky here, aren't we Derick, especially "from someone I have
never heard of before"?  Misconstruing what I said will not change my view
that this *proposal* is a pernicious piece of crap. If I were to have said
that you were (and I didn't), you might have grounds to say that.  Sometimes,
plain speaking is the only kind heard in the clutter.

If you cannot understand this fairly plain distinction in the English
language, how are you going to understand some fairly sophisticated (by
comparison) concerns I have.

I am firmly of the view that this proposal is wrong in conception and
execution.

Rob...

Robert Hazeltine                    r.hazeltine@nepean.uws.edu.au
Library Web Support                 http://www.nepean.uws.edu.au/library/