Re: Automatic Entry and Forms

Matthew James Marnell (marnellm@portia.portia.com)
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 14:22:27 -0500

To: "Phillip M. Hallam-Baker" <hallam@w3.org>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Automatic Entry and Forms
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 14:22:27 -0500
From: Matthew James Marnell <marnellm@portia.portia.com>

:>
:>Here is a proposal on Automated Forms Filling
:>

Nice idea, but that dog won't hunt.

All it takes is for one person to cry out, "With this feature, people
can capture your user info and start a dossier on you, even when you
don't allow them to have it." and all your work and thought just went
out the door.  Netscape just decided to redo their cookies for exactly
that reason.  I don't know if they're going to do away with it or
change it to a configurable option, probably the latter, but they
took enough heat from the users to change.  Even if you do implement
this, I doubt it'll get implemented by anyone.  In fact certain beta
version of NS 2.0 let the user info from the Options/Mail &
News Pref's/Identity configuration.  In fact, one of the beta releases
was just a quick fix to alleviate this behavior, or so I was told.

Like I said, that dog won't hunt.

Matt