Re: regions/contexts - printable HTML

Erik Aronesty <erik@inch.com> writes:

> I would propose the following:
>
> <PRINT LEFTMARGIN=x RIGHTMARGIN=x PAPER=x SCALE=x STYLE=x LANDSCAPE>
> This region will use the above print settings and print style....

HTML is more printable by more people than PostScript, and the absence
of this sort of control is one of the reasons. I consider it unwise to
give the author even more ability to limit the configurations that can
cope with the document. If your document is Netscape specific, I can
get Netscape if I feel it is worth the effort. If your document is
8.5x11 paper specific, there is not much I can do to get it printed on
the A4 printers we have here (in theory we ought to be able to get a
US-Letter tray for the printer, but we would probably have to import it
from the USA).

If layout control is a real problem, why not promote PDF which is
available now? Put a "Get Acrobat" button on your page, just like all
those "Netscape Now" buttons.

Owen Rees <rtor@ansa.co.uk>
 All my news postings and e-mail are personal opinions.
 Information about ANSA is at <URL:http://www.ansa.co.uk/>.