Re: regions/contexts - printable HTML (fwd)

MegaZone (
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 18:56:25 -0800 (PST)

From: MegaZone <>
Subject: Re: Re: regions/contexts - printable HTML (fwd)
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 18:56:25 -0800 (PST)

Once upon a time Erik Aronesty shaped the electrons to say...
>adding print specifications to the document.  It is rediculous to respecify
>margins and
>paper settings for each document..or to allow the browser to break the page

I think some of this belongs in style sheets.  Except for the pagebreak,
since that has to be in the content.

Although, personally, I don't much care for style sheets and do like the
direct approach of just putting it in the document so it is a portable
entity in itself.

>This region will use the above print settings and print style....

The problem I see with this is the large variety of printers.  Some don't
do landscape, some don't do graphics, etc.  How deep a level of control
would we want?

Don't get me wrong, I like this concept, just detailing.

>This text will print on a new page

THis is badly formed from my understanding, wouldn'g <PAGEBREAK> or <PAGEBR>
be better?  Similar to <BR>.  I see this as another opening <PRINT> tag and
I don't fell good about mixing behavior - some need closure and some don't.

>This region will use default formatting...
>This region will not be printed, only seen

I'm not convinced of this usefulness.

>This region will not be seen, but will be printed

Nor this.

Why would you want to do these two actions?  I don't want my printer to
start spewing stuff I didn't expect to print, and if I see something on
screen I want to print I don't want to find the paragraph I wanted was
deleted from the hardcopy, it would piss me off to say the least.

Although I work for Livingston Enterprises Technical Support, I alone am
responsible for everything contained herein.  So don't waste my managers'
time bitching to them if you don't like something I've said.  Flame me.
Phone: 800-458-9966  <>
FAX: 510-426-8951    6920 Koll Center Parkway #220, Pleasanton, CA 94566