Re: Doctype

Geoff Narvronsen (geoffryn@nfocus.com)
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 21:34:13 -0600

Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 21:34:13 -0600
To: www-html@w3.org
From: geoffryn@nfocus.com (Geoff Narvronsen)
Subject: Re: Doctype

>Once upon a time Harold A. Driscoll shaped the electrons to say...
>>Check out the discussion of the <!DOCTYPE...> statement in the RFC 1866 HTML
>>2.0 Specifications. You'll see that it is part of every properly compliant
>>HTML document. (True, you can often get your pages to work without one. But,

>And I think this is silly.  *I* understand what it does, but I do networking
>for a living, I'm a professsional geek.  Can anyone tell me that John Q.
>Public is going to grasp doctypes and seriously start using them?  *And*
>keep a straight face?
>If you use an editor that sticks it on for you, fine.  But if you write
>your HTML by hand?

well, i don't use doctypes, and rarely do i see personal pages that do; but
if john q public knows enough to write a page by hand, then he should be
expected to know how to use doctypes (if they become standard)

---
Chris (no, really Geoff Narvronsen)

geoffryn@nfocus.com            #pub: Angus_

http://nfocus.com/geoffryn/geoffryn.htm