Re: Conformance ratings (was: Extra! Microsoft beats Netscape in the

lilley (lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk)
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 11:55:27 +0000 (GMT)

From: lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Conformance ratings (was: Extra! Microsoft beats Netscape in the
To: megazone@livingston.com (MegaZone)
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 11:55:27 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: eric@gauthier.centre.edu, www-html@w3.org, jonsm@aol.com

MegaZone said:

> First of all, I've yet to see a validation system stay up to the minute
> with new extensions.  I don't think it is at all fair to penalize pages that
> use extensions if the underlaying code is solid.

How would you know if the underlying code is solid? The point is not to
"penalise" pages that use extensions; the point is tosay in a succinct
and machine readable way what extensions have been used. And the way to
do that is:

> And I don't expect anyone to start putting DOCTYPE notes in their pages.
> I'm not going to, it's a pain in the ass to keep that stuff straight.

Typing (or pasting) one line is "a pain in the ass to keep straight" ?

> it shouldn't be necessary for browsers [...] Why should it
> care about the DOCTYPE?>

see above.

> The web is an open playing field.  If I decide to use <FONT COLOR="#rrggbb">
> on my pages, that's my decision.  I know very well that only NS 2.0 will
> use it.

No you don't. There are several other browsers that understand that, and
that particular extension does not originate with NS.

> And I'll tell you how I've used it [...]

These uses are all fine. The point is to give browsers an indication what
extensions you have used.

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author and JISC representative to W3C
|  Manchester and North Training & Education Centre   ( MAN T&EC )  |