Re: Interlaced transparent gifs: print out problems

Brian Karlak (bkarlak@panbio.com)
Thu, 8 Feb 1996 17:20:50 -0800

From: "Brian Karlak" <bkarlak@panbio.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 17:20:50 -0800
To: peter@deev.com (Peter Edwards), www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Interlaced transparent gifs: print out problems

--PART-BOUNDARY=.19602081720.ZM3328.iris

On Feb 8,  5:48pm, Peter Edwards wrote:

> Is there a way to ensure that interlaced transparent gifs
> print out properly on the first load?
>       -- sometimes a gray background appears
>       -- sometimes the interlacing seems to distort, yet it prints out =
fine
>          after scrolling off the screen, then back on.

These are supposedly a Netscape client "feature".  When Netscape is runni=
ng low
on memory, it decides not to make the transparent colors transparent to s=
ave
memory.  See http://www.dsiegel.com/tips/wonk5/single.html for more info.=

BTW, http://www.dsiegel.com/ has lots of neat, if blasphemous, tips and t=
ricks
about Web design.  Check out "Web Wonk".

>       -- what about the </IMG> tag? Must one close an image tag?

Dunno on this one.  Probably good form to do so.

Brian

-- =

  d  a  t  a  b  a  s  e  s     a  r  e    i  n    o  u  r   g  e  n  e  =
s=81
---
  Brian Karlak                 bkarlak@panbio.com          (510) 337-7910=
 ph
  Manager, SciApps Group      http://www.panbio.com        (510) 522-9394=
 fx
---
  P   A   N   G   E   A         S   Y   S   T   E   M   S         I   N  =

--PART-BOUNDARY=.19602081720.ZM3328.iris--