Re: lynx and image maps

lilley (lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk)
Tue, 6 Feb 1996 20:06:18 +0000 (GMT)

From: lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: lynx and image maps
To: brian@organic.com (Brian Behlendorf)
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 20:06:18 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: MACRIDES@sci.wfbr.edu, www-html@w3.org

Brian Behlendorf said:

> On Wed, 31 Jan 1996, Foteos Macrides wrote:
> > 	There is nothing in the HTML 2.0 or subsequent protocols which
> > makes image maps via IMG tags adequately accessible to non-GUI clients.

> Sure, but the imagemap functionality on the server-side could.  When
> a client makes a request to a map resource without coordinates, the cgi
> program (or the functionality in the server if the imagemap-functionality
> is built-in) could return a menu of the links available instead of the
> silly "your browser does not support imagemaps" error message.

Yes, this is a simple addition to make. We have been running such a
modified cgi program since August 95. I have put together a page that
demonstrates this [1] but those of you who are unable to display pages
without images ;-) may prefer to go direct to the explanation [2] which
also has links to download the source.

I tested this with emacs-w3 (an old version, 2.1.90), lynx (also
old, v2.3), and Netscape 2.0N for X (with inline image loading disabled).

[1] http://www.man.ac.uk/CGU/staff/lilley/test/maps.html
[2] http://www.man.ac.uk/CGU/staff/lilley/test/textonly.html

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author and JISC representative to W3C
|  Manchester and North Training & Education Centre   ( MAN T&EC )  |