Re: animation frenzy

David Perrell (davidp@earthlink.net)
Wed, 18 Dec 1996 12:47:47 -0800

From: "David Perrell" <davidp@earthlink.net>
To: "Warren P. Chi" <warrenpchi@bansheeparadigm.com>
Cc: <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: animation frenzy
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 12:47:47 -0800

Warren P. Chi wrote:
> What's basically at fault here isn't so much that browsers are going
buck-wild trying to
> one up each other with eye-candy, its that there is no basic standard
to adhere to.  And
> in the absence of such guidance, chaos reigns.

No one is forcing authors to rot attention spans with excessive eye
candy. And HTML2.0 is a pretty safe standard to adhere to.

> How many of us wish to do away with the "Best viewed with [browser of
choice]" comment
> found in 99% of the sites out there?  How many of us don't want to
have to choose
> between VBScript & JavaScript?  How many of us don't need the hassle
of whether people
> have the right plug-ins?

Yep, these things are annoying. But most have nothing to do with HTML.
I have no desire to legislate what enhancements a vendor may or may not
include in their product, or what stupid logos an author may or may not
include on their pages.

> But here's what I really think of MSIE vs. NSN . . . I think NSN
should win...

And I hope the war rages on in the friendly spirit of competition that
drives the search for excellence <music swells>.

David Perrell