Browser detection

Boleslaw Mynarski (
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 20:58:15 -0500

From: Boleslaw Mynarski <>
To: "Web Edit Pro (E-mail)" <>
Cc: "HTML General (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Browser detection
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 20:58:15 -0500

Hi everyone,

I have picked up this script from MS Site Builder that is supposed to =
enable me to detect which browser a user is using and thus being able to =
determine which page to load.  Here is the script:

<!--var name =3D navigator.appName; function is Browser>
<if (name =3D=3D "Microsoft Internet Explorer">
<location.href=3D"EXPLORER.htm">; or any location
<location.href=3D"NAVIGATOR.htm">; or any location
is Browser ()
// -->
Content for those not using either browser.

The problem is that whenever I try to run the script, either IE or =
Netscape chokes on <if(name=3D=3D.. line giving me a syntax error.  I've =
tried removing '<' and so one but with no success.  Has actually anybody =
got this script to work?

I would appreciate your comments and suggestions....

>E-Mail: or
>Toronto,  ON Canada
>Tel: 416-245-8921
* >Need a hand with your web site development?  Let's get in touch!  You =
will get fast and reliable service.