Re: wherefore CGM?

Joel N. Weber II (
Sat, 7 Dec 1996 19:07:53 -1000 (HST)

Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 19:07:53 -1000 (HST)
From: "Joel N. Weber II" <>
To: David Perrell <>
Subject: Re: wherefore CGM?

On Sat, 7 Dec 1996, David Perrell wrote:

> Does the user agent know the pixel density the image was created for?
> That would be the best basis for determining whether or not to resize.
> PNG doesn't appear to have chunks for this info, and I don't think it's
> in GIF or JPEG either.

A chunk could be added to PNG to store this, I think.  It would have
to be optional, but you could assume a density of what is currently
a normal screen for any PNG files that don't have any density info.

OTOH, for most current uses, it is correct to use the pixels as-is
if the aspect ratio is correct.  Consider that photographs are
routinely printed in several different sizes.  There's no reason
why they can't be displayed on computer screens at different sizes.

"...For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."  -- Mathew 9:13