Re: wherefore CGM?

On Sat, 7 Dec 1996, David Perrell wrote:

> Does the user agent know the pixel density the image was created for?
> That would be the best basis for determining whether or not to resize.
> PNG doesn't appear to have chunks for this info, and I don't think it's
> in GIF or JPEG either.

A chunk could be added to PNG to store this, I think.  It would have
to be optional, but you could assume a density of what is currently
a normal screen for any PNG files that don't have any density info.

OTOH, for most current uses, it is correct to use the pixels as-is
if the aspect ratio is correct.  Consider that photographs are
routinely printed in several different sizes.  There's no reason
why they can't be displayed on computer screens at different sizes.

nemo
                                                 http://www.cyclic.com/~nemo
<nemo@koa.iolani.honolulu.hi.us>                    <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
"...For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."  -- Mathew 9:13