Re: My Friday-Before-Labor-Day Diatribe [Was: Frame document structure]

Abigail wrote:
> Or do you want to defend that MSIE and Netscape _do_ care
> about content delivery in the same way as they do for
> "whiz-bang gizmos"?

Nope.

> I wished the Web was being used to deliver information,
> but currently, there is more to find on Usenet and ftp
> sites than on HTML pages. I seldom `browse' the web
> anymore, and I've haven't written a piece of HTML in
> months. It just isn't making sense anymore.

I don't understand this kind of criticism. I've found a great deal of
information on the web with both interesting content and attractive
presentation - information I would never have found otherwise.
Interested in Irish history? Check out http://www.emory.edu/FAMINE/
and read the London Illustrated News and Punch from the period of the
Irish Potato Famine, along with the original engravings. Take a link
to the National Archives of Ireland and search their database for
ancestors exported by the English to Australia or America. Want to
learn Gaelic? Examples with sound are to be found at the University
of the Highlands
(http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/beurla/Gaelic_lessons.html).

What I most often fail to find is obscure computer-related
information. Nevertheless, there's a wealth of historical information
available without much effort.

It _is_ getting harder to separate the grain from the chaff when
doing searches, and it will likely get worse before it gets better.
But to say there's no content worth browsing implies limited
interests. (On the other hand, too much information too easily
accessed can be boring. Time to do a search on XXX and forget about
grain.)

David - whiz-banging can be fun in moderation.