Re: Frames Are Improving

Murray Altheim (
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 17:42:49 -0500

Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 17:42:49 -0500
From: (Murray Altheim)
Subject: Re: Frames Are Improving

>Murray Altheim <> wrote:
>|I'd caution against making ANY assumptions about screen size or resolution
>|(which noboby has mentioned yet).
>There's a draft before the HTTP-wg [1] that attempts to address this issue:
>                                 ABSTRACT
>     User-Agent Display Attributes Headers provide a means for an HTTP
>     client  and server to negotiate for content dependent on the
>     client display capabilities.

You are correct -- server-side content negotiation can certainly provide a
method to deliver content based on UA ability to handle it. But including
FRAME within HTML and promoting it as acceptable forgets one thing: few
document authors have either the server access or the knowledge to provide
content-negotiated solutions. Large organizations even have difficulty in
that authors are often not also server admins.

So I would suspect that the vast majority of frame docs on the Web are
provided with no content-negotiation alternative.

I was one of the minions who at one time was proposing client-side content
negotiation within HTML, but not many folks seemed interested. Seems SGML
marked sections were simply too obtuse, and registry was seen as a problem.
Of course, nobody blinks about inline scripting...

     Murray Altheim, Program Manager
     Spyglass, Inc., Cambridge, Massachusetts
     email: <>
     http:  <>
            "Give a monkey the tools and he'll eventually build a typewriter."