Re: Frames - does anyone like them?

On Wed, 21 Aug 1996, Abigail wrote:

> John Bro, InterSoft Solutions, Inc wrote:
>
> > About half of the unique visitors to the homepage (= about 1/4 of
> > the unique visitors to the site) load the frames version, and an ave.
> > of less than 10% meet with "your browser doesn't support frames - try
> > this one instead"  (browsers are selectively  redirected to
> > frames/non-frames versions).
>
> A couple of days ago, I browsed with Netscape 2.02 (of which I
> thought was a frame aware browser) and encountered on
> Netscape's own site:
>
> Your browser does not support frames. [http://home.netscape.com/comprod/products/navigator/version_3.0/index.html]
>
> Urg. It shows how difficult it is to select which browsers are frame
> aware and which aren't. Even Netscape fails to do it for their own
> browsers.

It's easy - if you bother to use <noframes> instead of playing user agent
games. If a browsers understands frames it gets the frames - if it
doesn't, it gets the <noframes> content.. One interesting point I
discovered while writing some software that required knowing if a browser
was frame capable was that MSIE supports single frame framesets while NS
requires at least two frames.

--
Benjamin Franz