Re: Generic Markup

Marc Salomon writes in <9608121129.ZM8807@gaia.ckm.ucsf.edu>:
>Wait a sec.  You said earlier that there was, for all intents and purposes,
>slim difference in the task of processing structure expressed through GI's
or
>through attributes.  If its the same difference in processing, then how can
it
>adversely affect the deployment of sounder solutions?  I could see how it
>might
>be problematic if content models (that get lost in CLASS) are important,
but
>retaining and enforcing content models with arbitrary GI's seems even a
>tougher
>nut to crack than implementing CLASS.

The problem arises from having to create _another_ structure-handling layer
(a layer to handle CLASS) over SGML's structure-handling layer.  Whereas if
SGML handles the structure directly, we can make use of the experience and
tools derived from SGML usage.

The problem of arbitrary content models should be easier with arbitrary
GI's, as at least we have SGML for that -- implementing CLASS as the main
structure expression avenue would require creating yet another structure
handler for an as-yet undefined language.
Mark Leighton Fisher                   Thomson Consumer Electronics
fisherm@indy.tce.com                   Indianapolis, IN