Re: Generic Markup

I wrote:
 > Keith M. Corbett writes:
 >  > At 01:12 AM 8/14/96 GMT, Gavin Nicol wrote:
 [...]
 >  > >>
 >  >
 >  > Somehow I missed the beginning of this exchange. I wonder if the author of
 >  > this message you quoted should consider something like:
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > This is slightly different from, or should be slightly different from:
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > Does anyone know if this "works" in MSIE or Arena?
 >  >
 >  > Seems to me this technique would allow browsers who conform to CSS to format
 >  > the paragraph correctly, while allowing the author to preserve structural
 >  > integrity etc etc.
 >  >
 >  > Seems to me that this technique should work. CSS doesn't mandate any
 >  > particular tag set for HTML, and assuming the CSS inheritance stuff works,
 >  > one should be able to invent tags for this purpose. Or am I missing
 >  > something about CSS?
 >
 > It doesn't attach a style to the element, because HTML specifies that
 > unknown tags should be skipped during parsing. The CSS formatter never
 > even gets to see them.

That reply was a bit short. To clarify: No, there is nothing in CSS
itself that prohibits this technique. Given a parser that passes the
right information to the formatter (at least element name and class
value), CSS is able to handle any element.

In that sense, <P class=subhed> is equivalent to <subhed>, except that
the stylesheet writer looses the benefit of subclassing, which allows
SUBHED to share most of the style rules with P.

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/People/Bos/                      INRIA/W3C
  +33 93 65 77 71                 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France