Re: Netscape 3.0...A Long Way to Go

Benjamin Franz (
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 15:39:07 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 15:39:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Benjamin Franz <>
To: Dan Delaney <>
cc: WWW HTML Mailing List <>
Subject: Re: Netscape 3.0...A Long Way to Go

On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, Dan Delaney wrote:

> >From the Netscape 3.0 Announcement page...
> "Next Monday, Netscape Will Take the Wraps Off the Final Version of
>  Navigator 3.0 and Reveal Why Internet Explorer Has a Long Way to Go"
>    Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the latest beta of MSIE
> support both Style Sheets AND the new OBJECT tag? And is it not true that
> Netscape 3.0 will not support either of these?
>    And Netscape said that Internet Explorer has a long way to go???

I find their market percentage stats much more interesting. My current
numbers put Netscape at 81.5%, MSIE at 12.4% and everyone else together at
6.1%. The stats on their page show Netscape at 87.6%, MSIE at 2.6%, and
everyone else at 9.8%. It looks like they are using old numbers to reduce
the MSIE percentage in particular, and not completely factoring out
'compatible' browsers that inflate Netscape in the raw counts. Netscape
has *never* reached 87%+ in the correctly counted numbers.

The good side of my current stats is that fully 5% of browsers in use
right now can view CSS stylesheeted pages. :)

Benjamin Franz