Re: deprecated tags in Wilbur & Cougar -Reply -Reply

Dave Raggett (
Wed, 07 Aug 1996 18:21:19 -0400

To: "Scott E. Preece" <>
Subject: Re: deprecated tags in Wilbur & Cougar -Reply -Reply
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 18:21:19 -0400
From: "Dave Raggett" <>

> I basically agree with your other points - semantic information is
> better carried by elements than classes (since that allows validation
> against a DTD) and the right way for this to evolve is via browsers that
> actually support SGML and arbitrary DTDs.

You may care to look back at my HTML+ proposal from 1993 which made
provision for author extensions to the DTD for phrase markup using
hooks in the DTD and the document type subset. HTML+ also allowed
you to specify the rendering for such tags, but this is better
handled via style sheets. Perhaps I should put a hook into Cougar
for such tags. For the current state of the Cougar spec see:

-- Dave Raggett <> tel: +1 (617) 258 5741 fax: +1 (617) 258 5999
   World Wide Web Consortium, 545 Technology Square, Cambridge, MA 02139
   url =