Re: Uses of <I>

Keith Calvert Ivey (kcivey@cpcug.org)
Mon, 5 Aug 1996 23:03:10 -0500

From: "Keith Calvert Ivey" <kcivey@cpcug.org>
To: www-html@w3.org
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 23:03:10 -0500
Subject: Re: Uses of <I>
CC: Abigail <abigail@uk.fnx.com>

Abigail <abigail@uk.fnx.com> wrote:

> What if someone uses italics as default font? Maybe they like
> it. Sure, you can say they shouldn't, but using ones
> preferences is the _whole_ point of using HTML. If usage of
> <I> in stead of <EM> becomes common practice, people are
> forced to use non-italic default fonts, partially defeating
> the whole point of HTML.

I wasn't really talking about using <I> in place of <EM>.  I
was talking about uses of <I> other than emphasis (words used
as words, foreign words, species names, names of ships, titles
of books, movies, and newspapers), most of which have no
"correct" corresponding HTML markup.

I'm sorry if I cause problems for a vanishingly small number
of italics fetishists (do you actually know anyone who uses an
italic font as the default?), but what is the alternative?

Keith C. Ivey <kcivey@cpcug.org>
Washington, DC
Untangling the Web <http://www.eei-alex.com/eye/utw/>