Netscape and SGML

Michael Seaton (
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 11:47:27 -0400 ()

Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 11:47:27 -0400 ()
From: Michael Seaton <>
Subject: Netscape and SGML

I discovered the following statement in Netscape's documentation for
Naviagtor 3.0:
> Font styles - The MULTICOL tag recognizes current font status. So if you
> begin a bold section before the multicolumn, the text in the columns
> will start bold, and if you close the bold in the middle of the
> multicolumn, this nonbold status will continue once you leave the
> multicolumn.

<B> bold text <MULTICOL> bold text </B> plain text </MULTICOL> plain text

It was my understanding that SGML elements were not permitted to overlap;
is it even possible for a DTD to specify this behaviour?

Michael Seaton (