Netscape and SGML

Michael Seaton (mseaton@pobox.com)
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 11:47:27 -0400 ()

Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 11:47:27 -0400 ()
From: Michael Seaton <mseaton@pobox.com>
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Netscape and SGML

I discovered the following statement in Netscape's documentation for
Naviagtor 3.0:

http://home.netscape.com/comprod/products/navigator/version_3.0/multicolumns.html
> Font styles - The MULTICOL tag recognizes current font status. So if you
> begin a bold section before the multicolumn, the text in the columns
> will start bold, and if you close the bold in the middle of the
> multicolumn, this nonbold status will continue once you leave the
> multicolumn.

i.e.

<B> bold text <MULTICOL> bold text </B> plain text </MULTICOL> plain text

It was my understanding that SGML elements were not permitted to overlap;
is it even possible for a DTD to specify this behaviour?

--
Michael Seaton (mseaton@pobox.com)