Re: Proposal: Definition Popup Tag

"Marcus E. Hennecke" <marcush@crc.ricoh.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 1 Aug 1996 15:23:09 -0400 (EDT),
> Carsten Whimster <bcrwhims@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>> Proposal for a Definition Popup Tag:
>
>Something similar has been proposed previously:
>
>On Wed, 26 Jun 1996 08:58:26 -0400,
> Melt van Schoor <Hermanus@iafrica.com> wrote:
>> This is probably not new, but has anyone ever thought about glossarry-style
>> hyperlinks, where a certain term might be explained in, say a pop-up box?
>
>Yes, something like this has been discussed on the HTML working group
>mailing list. Check out
>
>http://www.acl.lanl.gov/HTML_WG/html-wg-96q1.messages/0168.html
>http://www.acl.lanl.gov/HTML_WG/html-wg-96q1.messages/0558.html
>http://www.acl.lanl.gov/HTML_WG/html-wg-96q1.messages/0760.html
>
>Apparently, there is even a browser that handles this glossary markup.

	This would be ideal for that:

<!--======================== Footnotes ====================================-->

<!--
Typically rendered as popup note. These elements are referenced
by hypertext links specified with the anchor element.
-->
<!ELEMENT FN - - %body.content;>
<!ATTLIST FN %attrs;     -- id, class, style, lang, dir -->

                                   Footnotes

   Permitted Context: %body.content, %flow, %block
   Content Model: %body.content

   The FN element is designed for footnotes, and when practical, rendered
   as pop-up notes.

   Example:

   <DL>
   <DT>Hamlet: <DD>You should not have believed me, for virtue cannot so
   href="#fn2">relish of it</a>. I loved you not.

   <DT>Ophelia: <DD> I was the more deceived.

   <DT>Hamlet: <DD>Get thee to a nunnery. Why wouldst thou be a breeder
   of sinners? I am myself <a href="#fn2">indifferent honest</a> ...
   </DL>

   nature)</fn>

   Note: If %html.recommended is active, the HTML 3.0 DTD expects you to
   enclose plain text in a block element such as <P> e.g.

   <FN ID=fn23><P>A simple footnote</FN>

  Permitted Attributes

   ID
          An SGML identifier used as the target for hypertext links or
          for naming particular elements in associated style sheets.
          Identifiers are NAME tokens and must be unique within the scope
          of the current document.

   LANG
          This is one of the ISO standard language abbreviations, e.g.
          "en.uk" for the variation of English spoken in the United
          Kingdom. It can be used by parsers to select language specific
          choices for quotation marks, ligatures and hypenation rules
          etc. The language attribute is composed from the two letter
          language code from ISO 639, optionally followed by a period and
          a two letter country code from ISO 3166.

   CLASS
          This a space separated list of SGML NAME tokens and is used to
          subclass tag names. By convention, the class names are
          interpreted hierarchically, with the most general class on the
          left and the most specific on the right, where classes are
          separated by a period. The CLASS attribute is most commonly
          used to attach a different style to some element, but it is
          recommended that where practical class names should be picked
          on the basis of the element's semantics, as this will permit
          other uses, such as restricting search through documents by
          matching on element class names. The conventions for choosing
          class names are outside the scope of this specification.

   STYLE
   	  For fine tuning the style to achieve maximum sex appeal.

   DIR
   	  For internationalization.

<NOTE CLASS="joyful"> that since the Content-Model is %body.content,
and presentational features can be fine tuned via style sheets and/or
the STYLE attribute, all of the special-purpose popup proposals
are encompassed by this, i.e., you make the content whatever
markup is ideal for your purpose.  Think of it as a popup TABLE
cell which can be positioned anywhere in the document, with
the popup appearing there for clients which fully support it,
and the <FN ID="wow">...</FN> itself placed at the bottom of
the document, serving as a NAMEd anchor (via it's ID) for
clients which do not fully support the fancier presentational
features.</NOTE>

				Fote