Re: Inline macros

David Ornstein <davido@objarts.com> wrote:
>.
>>
>>('MSC' is SGML-eze for 'marked section close', which is ']]'.)
>>
>>    <![ CDATA [
>>        -- any durned thing in here you want except MSC --
>>    (This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)
>>    :$QeKBh"RF$)f-fNZFfPd!&0*9%46593K!*!$"d3&!*!%IHC6593K!!%!"d3&FNa
>>    KG3)!N!3@!6!J)!TYB@0`Ch!b0M0T!*!9H(%!N!2$!-F"I`*E!*!$"J#3$iB!!!&
>>    [...]
>>    Jbkh-,Td[Yk!YN!#!))e3$p)+Iq9r0V!VQ5BUMqeJb5M[#*`lbHq-S(Y$L[m$!!!
>>    K)3TYB@0`Ch!b0M0T!*!D``$(!Am#@`#3!`%!"cS6!*!(&J#3!iB!!!&Jrj!%!3#
>>    Y66a3V9CI+`#3"3HIm`#3"3G$$`#3#MHF#mm!!!:
>>    ]]>
>>
>>That's it. Not much of a barn burner. And legal, just not widely supported.
>
>OK.  I get it.  I'm thinking about some server-side tools I'm building here...
>
>>Oh, just read David O's latest message. MSC is not ']', rather ']]', so I
>>don't think that's so much of an issue.
>
>If you mean that it's a fair bit safer because ]] is less likely to occur in
>the data, this seems like a case of closeness in horseshoes and hand
>grenades.  SGML doesn't give any useful help here with anything like an
>escape character for the ']' does it?  You show the example above having
>been BinHex'd which is cheating a bit.  If I wanted to, say, have a PERL
>script in the marked section (roughly akin to the original intent in this
>thread), what do I do if my script has a ']]' in it? (I do see your note
>below about using an entity, but sometimes that wouldn't be done...)

Isn't there some way where one can do something like (may be add to the
SCRIPT spec):

    <SCRIPT ... Content-encoding="hblb">
        273a84702f387c428d375eb0935...
    </SCRIPT>

Where "hblb" can be the good-old "high-byte-low-byte" encoding (I don't know
what's the official name for it...  I would call it BinHex, but that name
is already taken to mean something very specific).  Since the only allowed
characters in that encoding is [0-9][a-f][A-F], there's no ambiguity where
data starts and where data ends.  The data will take up twice the space,
though.  It also breaks old browsers, but so does the perl example mentioned
a few postings earlier.
--
Bill Cheng // Guest at Columbia Unversity Computer Science Department
william@cs.columbia.edu <URL:http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~william>