Re: content-based definition of block element?

In message <s1775ed0.064@wposmtp.nps.navy.mil>, Charles Peyton Taylor writes:

>The cascading style sheet draft at:
>http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/WD-css1
>defines a block-level element as "an element which
>has a line break before and after (e.g. 'H1' in HTML)"
>which makes sense in that context because style sheets
>are all about presentation. Other definitions also
>concern what is allowed inside then, or what they
>are allowed inside.  Should I use that definition,
>or is there any consensus as to what a block-level
>element *is* as opposed to what it does (or does it
>matter?)

The distinction between block-level and inline is only relevant when
discussing rendering to traditional 2-dimentional text displays, I'd
say.

Hmmm... I suppose a speech synthesizer would pause before and
after a paragraph, and not likely before and after an <em>phasized
phrase. But I'm not sure if the distinction can be consistently
carried over.

Dan