Re: Inline macros

Michael Seaton (
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 20:00:26 -0400 (EDT)

From: Michael Seaton <>
Subject: Re: Inline macros
To: (David Ornstein)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 20:00:26 -0400 (EDT)

David Ornstein <> wrote:
> At 04:12 PM 4/25/96 -0400, erik wrote:
> Is there some literal introduction character we could use (back tick or
> something) that would allow the lexer to simply gobble this stuff up into
> one big binary chunk?  This would allow something like:
> <mimesection type=txt/x-funk>
> `%my(funcky, macro);
> more stuff in the funk language`
> </mimesection>
> Am I nuts?

Could this be done with multipart/mixed?  The only addition necessary
would be a method of referring to a component of an archive, for instance:||main.html

This would refer to main.html, a file contained within the archive intro.mpm.

"||" would become the base URL, so that
main.html could then use

  <SCRIPT src="script.cmd"> </SCRIPT>

to refer to script.cmd, another file in intro.mpm.

 [ Has the URI working group devised anything like this? ]

This would preserve most of the advantages of having inlines and text
contained within the same file, but would avoid the conundrum of including
arbitrary data within an SGML document.

Michael Seaton(