Re: mailto: + parameters?

Daniel W. Connolly (
Wed, 17 Apr 1996 09:20:29 -0400

To: Foteos Macrides <>
Subject: Re: mailto: + parameters?
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 09:20:29 -0400
From: "Daniel W. Connolly" <>

In message <01I3KR5J3XAA004RJA@SCI.WFBR.EDU>, Foteos Macrides writes:
>	The use of ?subject=bla in mailto URLs is not "just" ignoring
>W3CofVendors "working drafts", but also flagrantly violates the IETF
>"Standards Track" specification -- and is needless, because the TITLE
>attribute can cook that soup without breaking mailto URLs or other

Hmmm.. I wouldn't say that. This issue has been discussed at length,
and several proposals similar to mailto:foo@bar?subject=xxx have
been made. See, for example, the mailserver thread on the uri mailing list:

If something along these lines is in operation today, I'd like to
see it written up. Anybody care to write up this revision of the
mailto: URL scheme? You can write it as an IETF draft if you like,
or we can publish it as a W3C working draft.

There's been a lot of noise about revising RFC1738. I'm not sure what
exactly is going to happen along those lines.