Inserting Audio (summary).

Hi all,

Last week I posted these two questions to the list:
>does the standard defines any way to play audio files inside a HTML
>page?
>Is any browser currently giving support to that?

Well, I've received four answers which I summarize.

From: Kieran Jason Hackett
>As far as playing audio from inside a web page, you can currently do this
>by using <embed> tag with the Real Audio or shockwave plug-ins.
>Netscape 3.0(code named Atlas) will let you embed all other standard
>audio formats in side of your web page.  Check out the netscape site for more
>details.

Comment:
I checked Real Audio (I can't get the plug-in working in 2.0) with NS 1.2 (NT
3.51) under the form
works fine. Not as expected, but fine. I can't found Shockwave. I
searched with Lycos and Altavista but I got 404 Error messages.

NS Atlas is too much big to my intentions. It ranges out from what I
understand a browser (zipped fits in one diskette) should be. I
don't need a Jurasic browser.

From: Murray Altheim (Scott Porad sugests the same solution)
>As has been suggested, BGSOUND is one option, but only supported in MS
>Internet Explorer. A more general method can be found on Odell McGuire's
>Old Time Music Page at
>
>    http://www.wlu.edu/~omcguire/otmusx.html
>(...)
>You can check your browser preferences under 'Helpers' or 'Helper Apps'
>('File Types' in MSIE) to see which file extension mappings are
>understood.
>These will have a MIME type of 'audio/xxxx' where 'xxxx' is the type of
>sound file (commonly /wav (.wav), /basic (.au), /x-aiff (.aiff), etc.).
>(...)

Comment:
Because I'm targeting a standard way, MSIE is not a solution to my
problem (thanks anyway Murray and Scott).

There is a fourth answer that, due to a server error (I guess), I
received in white.

Thanks to all of you who helped me. Thanks guys.

   Domingo Siliceo
     -- 638net --
     -- http under construction --