Re: two ideas...

William C. Cheng (william@cs.columbia.edu)
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 17:07:41 -0500

To: "Manu S. Kumar" <sneaker+@cmu.edu>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: two ideas...
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 17:07:41 -0500
From: "William C. Cheng" <william@cs.columbia.edu>

>     I have two ideas which I would like to get some feedback on. One is
> to use compressed HTML/Java instead of regular HTML. The second is to
> implement intelligent pre-fetching for the web.
>
>     I have written a paper on each of the above ideas. Please look at
> the papers for the details. They are available at:
>
> http://sneaker.pc.cs.cmu.edu/Sneaker/Papers/
>
>     I would be interested in hearing some feedback from people on these ideas.

Regarding compressed HTML (or HTZL, as mentioned in your paper), why not
just use the Content-Encoding in HTTP/1.0 <URL:http://www.w3.org/hypertext/
WWW/Protocols/HTTP1.0/draft-ietf-http-spec.html#Content-Encoding>?
--
Bill Cheng // Guest at Columbia Unversity Computer Science Department
william@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU      ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.columbia.edu!william