Re: Enhancements to html forms

Simon Cox (S.Cox@solo.ned.dem.csiro.au)
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 07:47:44 +0800

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 07:47:44 +0800
To: marc@ckm.ucsf.edu
From: S.Cox@solo.ned.dem.csiro.au (Simon Cox)
Subject: Re: Enhancements to html forms
Cc: www-html@w3.org

At 10:52 AM 28/11/95, Marc Salomon wrote:
>I disagree.  One big win for HTML has been that it puts simple GUI design in
>the hands of document authors instead of restricting it to programmers.  Issues
>of applet language encumberance and security aside, languages such as Java or
>safetcl will still require a degree of programming expertise that experience
>has shown is not required to design a simple GUI.

Hear hear!  Thanks for that Marc.  That has been my experience
completely.  While I have done a fair bit of programming through
the years, I am no software engineer and OO has passed me by, unfortunately.
I quite enjoyed putting together what I did using standard "FORMS" tools,
and I think the enhancements I was discussing would provide a huge
capability without having to go to applets!

Simon Cox

Dr Simon Cox                          __  \
CSIRO Exploration & Mining         ,~'  L_|\    Australian
39 Fairway, PO Box 437,         ;-'         \   Geodynamics
Nedlands, WA  6009  Australia   (            \  Cooperative
      Phone +61 9 284 8443      +    ___     /  Research
      Fax   +61 9 389 1906       L~~'   "\__/   Centre
simon@ned.dem.csiro.au                     W
AGCRC info>>   http://www.ned.dem.csiro.au/AGCRC/