Re: Enhancements to html forms

Steve (Steve.Ball@pastime.anu.edu.au)
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 13:55:25 +1100

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 13:55:25 +1100
From: Steve <Steve.Ball@pastime.anu.edu.au>
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Enhancements to html forms
Cc: S.Cox@solo.ned.dem.csiro.au

Simon wrote:

> I've recently been developing some applications# using cgi to invoke
> some legacy software on our server and convert the output into html.
> Part of this has involved writing/customizing a "GUI" for the software
> using html-forms.  A few extra capabilities would make this a whole lot
> easier:  namely
>
> *  a "slider" or "dial" widget to select a value from a continuous range;
> *  multiple clicks on an ismap image, eg to outline an area;
> *  nested elements in a single form - essentially giving "pop-up" menu
> functionality, but _before_ submitting the form;
> *  drag and drop ... (probably not)

Attaching a client-side script (aka applet) to the form is a general way of
achieving your aims.  The latest release of SurfIt!, v0.4a, has support
for client-side scripting for forms.  Check out:

	http://pastime.anu.edu.au/SurfIt/

Unfortunately, applet-enabled browsers are not in wide deployment as yet,
but it looks like they will be in time (Java-enabled browsers at any rate...)

Steve Ball, PASTIME Project, ACSys CRC, ANU
E-mail: Steve.Ball@pastime.anu.edu.au	Ph. +61 6 2495146
Snail-mail: Canberra ACT 0200, AUSTRALIA
           He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!