Re: Meta Tag - proposal (suggestions ???)

William C. Cheng (william@cs.columbia.edu)
Thu, 16 Nov 1995 09:49:00 -0500

To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Meta Tag - proposal (suggestions ???)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 09:49:00 -0500
From: "William C. Cheng" <william@cs.columbia.edu>

On Wed, 15 Nov 1995, Joe Budge <budge@clark.net> wrote:
| The META tag could benefit greatly from HTTP-EQUIV's for "revision"
| (as in 'revision number') and 'timestamp' (as in 'date/time the
| document was authored').
|
| Librarians -- electronic or otherwise -- keep track of different
| versions of a document in many professions.  This is crucial in
| situations where one needs to track changes in documents over
| time -- as frequently happens in legal, engineering, purchasing, and
| technical support activities.  I would rate the importance of these
| as "high" since one cannot do serious document management
| without these concepts.

You can use CGI to achieve the same thing.  For example,
"http://.../.../file.txt?2.4" gets you version 2.4 of file.txt and
"http://.../.../file.txt" gets you the current version (the CGI
script can return the actual version.  The CGI script can use things
like RCS or SCCS to do this quite easily.
--
Bill Cheng // Guest at Columbia Unversity Computer Science Department
william@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU      ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.columbia.edu!william