Re: Client side file push

Michael Johnson (
Fri, 03 Nov 95 07:37:36 EST

Subject: Re: Client side file push
From: (Michael Johnson)
Date:    Fri, 03 Nov 95 07:37:36 EST

>I'm trying to get a file sent from the client to the server, what I'd really
>like is to push a form to the client where she would fill in an absolute
>local file reference, which, upon submission of the form would actually
>include the file as part of the transmission.  I believe there is an HTML
>extension that allows this:
><FORM ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data" ACTION="_URL_" METHOD=POST>
>Send this file: <INPUT NAME="userfile" TYPE="file">
><INPUT TYPE="submit" VALUE="Send File">

Actually, what there is is an experimental Internet Draft which has been
published by the HTML Working Group that describes "Form-based File Upload
in HTML". This and other Internet Drafts produced by HTML-WG are accessible

The specific document that describes file uploads is:

Happy reading.

Michael Johnson
Relay Technology, Inc.
The opinions above are my own and not necessarily shared by Relay Technology