Re: page control in HTML

BELL Scott A (
31 May 1995 07:39:19 U

Date: 31 May 1995 07:39:19 U
From: "BELL Scott A" <>
Subject: RE: page control in HTML
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <>

>From: on Tue, May 30, 1995 8:50 PM
>Subject: Re: page control in HTML
>To: Multiple recipients of list
>So far I have only had one comment on my original question
>suggesting that I generate a different report document to be printed
>e.g. a postscript file and give a reference to that in the
>report document appearing on the screen
>this is not an easy or nice solution and I dont know how to
>make this document go to the printer of the user

  I do - manually( or code something yourself ) that breaks the page
at specified line boundaries. You could even add cross-links to the
pages you have broken up. Otherwise....
>I take it that there is no way of doing this nicely
>so I iterate my request that there should be something like
><HR NEWPAGE> or a new tag <PAGE> then there could also
>be a tag <NOPAGE> which would make a block go together on
>a page
>I know that html is not meant for layout, but the fact is that
>increasingly html documents are the primary documents and
>there are times when people want these printed out nicely
>so the least that could be done is to let ASCII 12 ( &FF or what ever
>go through to the printing program

  Besides, you've done everything but layout the Data Flow Diagram - go
forth and code! :>

>then we dont need to do formatting before printing or keep duplicates
>of the relevant files
>Thorvaldur Gunnlaugsson       \           The Parliament of Iceland
>                \         comp. departm.  Vonarstr 8
>voice:354-5630655 fax:5630670   \                     150 REYKJAVIK

BTW: There is a Style sheet draft at