Re: legal status of ©?

Carolyn Pearson (carolynp@alki.com)
Sun, 14 May 1995 16:29:43 -0700

Date: Sun, 14 May 1995 16:29:43 -0700
To: www-html@www10.w3.org
From: carolynp@alki.com (Carolyn Pearson)
Subject: Re: legal status of &copy;?

I was told in a recent speech at the Library of Congress, given by one of
the officials of the Copyright Office, that copyright is implicit, and no
symbol or notice is required. Given this, I think that if you do want to
include a notice, "(c)", "copyright" written out, or the standard copyright
symbol should be acceptible -- whichever is easiest to use in your situation.

Furthermore, if a copyright notice _is_ included in something, it is illegal
to remove it.

P.S. I haven't tried to post something on a list before; if I send it to the
wrong email address, please instruct me on the proper procedure. Thanks.

--Carolyn <carolynp@alki.com>

>Though I am not an attorney and am not trying to be, according to some legal
>eagle freinds of mine the copyright symbol really does no matter.  If it is
>your work, ideas, designs, etc.. it is yours and it is illegal to copy this
>work whether there is a copyright symbol or not.  Does anyone know if this
>is right? I am curious if some of my lawyer buddies really know what they
>are talking about.
>
>Dave Dixon
>>
>>Does anyone want to comment on whether &copy; is legal as a copyright
>>signature?  It's well known that "(c)" isn't, for example.  What about
>>&#169;?
>>
>>	Brian

Carolyn Pearson, Managing Editor
Alki Software Corporation