Re: Converting Mac GIFs to UNIX

Lindsay Davies (Lindsay.Davies@sheffield.ac.uk)
Fri, 31 Mar 1995 21:37:15 +0100

Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 21:37:15 +0100
To: klassenf@ace.nche.edu
From: Lindsay.Davies@sheffield.ac.uk (Lindsay Davies)
Subject: Re: Converting Mac GIFs to UNIX
Cc: www-html@www10.w3.org

>I am trying to convert from a MacHTTP server to HTTPD on a Sun running SunOS
>4.1.3 and am having some problem converting my Mac GIF documents.  I have
>tried a number of Mac utilities (GIFConverter, GraphicConvert) and then
>ftp-ing the docs to the Sun and viewing under XV with no luck.  Anyone have
>any tips as to how to get my Mac GIFs over the the Sun in a Sun-readable
>format?

This is a problem that comes up quite regularly.

Firstly, ensure that your gif files are suffixed '.gif' - note that is
lowercase. Then make sure that all references to the gifs in your HTML docs
are case-accurate, unix servers reference files in a case sensitive manner,
machttp doesn't.

The actual uploading I do using Fetch's raw data setting. This doesn't
munge with the filename or anything, nor encodes the data in any
mac-specific format. (You might want to remove the resource fork first,
using something like RFZap, but I think this is ignored anyway by Fetch).

As for the best tool for creating GIFs, I tend to use Photoshop for
creating the image, but GraphicConverter for all the fiddly bits like
making it interlaced and setting transparent colours etc. I can't recommend
it highly enough.

Both GraphicConverter and RFZap are available from info-mac sites.

Hope that helps.

Lindsay

    Lindsay Davies          ____                ______ __     ______
    Dept. of Psychology    / __ \ _____ __  __ / ____// /    / ____/
    University of York    / /_/ // ___// / / // /    / /    / __/
                                     /____/     P r o j e c t
    me:            <http://www.york.ac.uk/~ld11/Lindsay.html>
    PsyCLE:        <http://www.york.ac.uk/~ld11/PsyCLE/PsyCLE.html>