Re: Centering in HTML?

Lou Montulli (montulli@netscape.com)
Thu, 23 Mar 1995 17:10:36 -0800

From: "Lou Montulli" <montulli@netscape.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 17:10:36 -0800
To: ksuper@research.westlaw.com,
        Multiple recipients of list <www-html@www10.w3.org>
Subject: Re: Centering in HTML?

On Mar 23,  3:20pm, ksuper@research.westlaw.com wrote:
> Subject: Centering in HTML?
> I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a way to center lines
> within the HTML markup that is not tied to a paragraph.  I realize that <p
> align=center> is available, but is there something equivalent for lines?  If
> there isn't, will something
> be available in the future?

There is currently no standardized way of doing this that has any widespread
distribution.

Eventually <DIV ALIGN=CENTER> will do what you desire.

In the absence of DIV you could use the <CENTER> tag with the understanding
that it will only work in Netscape, W3-mode, and the OS/2 browser, and
will probably never make it into the official HTML spec.

<DIV> also has the nice capibility of being able to add a CLASS attribute
to specify its semantics and can specify many other alignment styles.

Maybe we can get <DIV> published in 2.1 so that we can start using it
sooner rather than later.

--
Lou Montulli                 http://www.mcom.com/people/montulli/
       Netscape Communications Corp.