Re: CAPTION in FIG element

James Clark (jjc@jclark.com)
Thu, 16 Mar 1995 23:55:20 +0000

Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 23:55:20 +0000
From: jjc@jclark.com (James Clark)
To: lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk
Cc: www-html@www10.w3.org, arena@info.cern.ch
Subject: Re: CAPTION in FIG element

> From: lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
> Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 20:12:33 +0000 (GMT)
>
> James Clark said:
>
> > Unless you use HTML.Recommended, %body.content includes #pcdata, so
> > FIG will have mixed content, so the white space before CAPTION will be
> > treated as #pcdata, but the content model doesn't allow a CAPTION
> > after #pcdata.
>
> So this is fixable? Or does it mean you have to use Reccomended or just be
> real careful where the line breaks fall?

I would think it should be fixed: it is not a good idea to have this
sort of content model (one that allows #pcdata somewhere but not
everywhere).  I've just hacked up my parser to detect this, and I see
that the content models for %blockquote and ADDRESS have similar
problems (the latter even with HTML.Recommended).