Re: HTML 3.0 & language tags/attributes
Wed, 15 Mar 1995 13:14:52 EST

Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 13:14:52 EST
Subject: Re: HTML 3.0 & language tags/attributes

> I have not kept up with the most recent developments in HTML.
> There was a lot of talk about helping us all pop out of the
> ISO 8859-1 straitjacket, either by extending HTML or by add-
> ing Unicode as a possible overall charset in the header.
> Was this just talk, or did something actually come of it?

As far as I know, the only thing to reach the real world is multi-
localised X-Mosaic.  The X-Mosaic brower will look for an escape
code sequence at the beginning of each HTML document loaded, and
automatically load the code page so requested.

For example, seeing "<ESC> - C", it will display the entire page
in ISO 8859-3.  See for

It's not Unicode heaven, but at least it offers *real* help to the
people who need it.  I wish *all* browsers could get their acts
together and support this method!