Re: Client-side highlighting; tag proposal

Michael Johnson (michaelj@relay.relay.com)
Mon, 13 Mar 95 13:44:51 EST

Subject: Re: Client-side highlighting; tag proposal
From: michaelj@relay.relay.com (Michael Johnson)
To: dsr@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Cc: www-html@www10.w3.org (HTML discussion list)
Date:    Mon, 13 Mar 95 13:44:51 EST

>As a result, I am now looking at a way of specifying both the start and
>ends of highlighted region separately from the document body, e.g. using
>a single element in the document head, e.g. something like:
>
>        <highlight from=3096 until=4013>
>
>Where the numbers are byte offsets into the document body.

Perhaps you could take a page from IBM Bookmaster, which defines a SPOT
element which basically exists to allow an ID to be inserted at a random place
in a document. Then you could do something like this:

         <highlight from=spot01 until=spot04>
         .
         .
         .
         <spot id=spot01>
         .
         .
         .
         <spot id=spot04>

At least then you wouldn't need byte offsets, or line numbers, or other
error-prone mechanisms.

Michael Johnson
Relay Technology, Inc.