Re: Client-side highlighting; tag proposal

Steinar Bang (
Mon, 13 Mar 95 19:11:13 +0100

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 95 19:11:13 +0100
From: Steinar Bang <>
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <>
Subject: Re: Client-side highlighting; tag proposal

> As a result, I am now looking at a way of specifying both the start and
> ends of highlighted region separately from the document body, e.g. using
> a single element in the document head, e.g. something like:

>         <highlight from=3096 until=4013>

> Where the numbers are byte offsets into the document body.

Translating a source document byte count to a position in the parsed
document isn't always easy.

Wouldn't some HyTime-ish way of addressing a highligthed element in the
document tree be easier to deal with?

Or, not to be limited to element boundaries: you could identify the
container element this way, and then just give the byte offset for
start and stop in the content of the element.

Just a thought.