Re: HTML3 FIG element

Dave Raggett (dsr@hplb.hpl.hp.com)
Thu, 09 Mar 95 18:48:40 GMT

To: Jonsm@aol.com
Cc: www-html@www10.w3.org
Subject: Re: HTML3 FIG element
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 95 18:48:40 GMT
From: "Dave Raggett" <dsr@hplb.hpl.hp.com>

> Is it legal for the SRC attribute of the FIG element to point to another
> complete HTML document or is the SRC limited to images?

The range of objects that can be inlined isn't really part of the HTML
standard. Instead, its a question of accepted practise and what current
browsers actually support, e.g. inline JPEG is becoming more common.
To start with, I don't expect browsers to support more than IMG does
today, but its a matter for what people want (and are prepared to pay for).

> If so, how are forms handled in this context? Having a FIG inside of a form
> can lead to nested forms. Does a SUBMIT of the top level form then also
> submit the nested forms?

Sneaky question, but no, they would be separate documents and as such
independent.

-- Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> tel: +44 117 922 8046 fax: +44 117 922 8924
  Hewlett Packard Laboratories, Filton Road, Bristol BS12 6QZ, United Kingdom