Re: FOOTNOTE element

Alex deVries (adevries@ccs.carleton.ca)
Thu, 9 Mar 1995 11:01:12 -0500 (EST)

Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 11:01:12 -0500 (EST)
From: Alex deVries <adevries@ccs.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: FOOTNOTE element
To: Michael Johnson <michaelj@relay.relay.com>
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <www-html@www10.w3.org>

> No, no.. I don't want to see footnote support go away. They are valuable as
> a mechanism for allowing spot annotation within a document. With footnotes,
> the author does not have to maintain lots of little documents for footnotes,
> and when the reader wants to read a footnote, the browser doesn't have to go
> out and fetch a URL.

I'd really have to agree here.  I think that footnotes can be a major
step forward.

> Besides, I've already gone to the trouble of implementing popup footnotes in
> my browser and I do *NOT* want to rip that code out, thank you very much.

Interesting.  The way I envision a graphical browswer might handle this
is similiar to the MS Windows help popups:  you click on a word that has
a definition, and a nice bubble pops up.

- Alex

Alex deVries                         I  I'm so annoyed at that stupid
adevries@ccs.carleton.ca             I  flashing blue N in Netscape
Webmaster, Faculty of Engineering    I  that I've put duct tape
http://www.eng.carleton.ca/ad.html   I  over part of my screen.