Re: FOOTNOTE element

Michael Johnson (michaelj@relay.relay.com)
Thu, 09 Mar 95 09:52:19 EST

Subject: Re: FOOTNOTE element
From: michaelj@relay.relay.com (Michael Johnson)
To: www-html@www10.w3.org (HTML discussion list)
Date:    Thu, 09 Mar 95 09:52:19 EST

Joe English writes:
>In the spirit of keeping HTML simple,
>I'd vote for dropping footnote support altogether.

No, no.. I don't want to see footnote support go away. They are valuable as
a mechanism for allowing spot annotation within a document. With footnotes,
the author does not have to maintain lots of little documents for footnotes,
and when the reader wants to read a footnote, the browser doesn't have to go
out and fetch a URL.

Besides, I've already gone to the trouble of implementing popup footnotes in
my browser and I do *NOT* want to rip that code out, thank you very much.

A footnote element is a perfectly valid markup component, which other GML
languages usually have. HTML should have it too.

Michael Johnson
Relay Technology, Inc.